Sunday, August 14, 2011

Stockpile Meal: Nachos

I have a folder full of stockpile meals that I keep meaning to put up here so I figured I had better get to it! This edition is nachos.
Step One: fry the corn tortillas
You only need about 1.5 inches of oil to fry in. Use a wide mouth pan and don't take the heat above medium. The oil shouldn't spit at you as long as the pan was completely dry. If it is smoking you have it way too hot. The tortillas should almost immediately float to the surface if the oil is  hot enough. Put them in, wait about 15 - 30 seconds, turn. Fry just until they start to turn golden brown and they are no longer pliable.
Step Two: salt the fried tortillas
I lay out a couple layers of paper towels on a baking sheet to soak up the oil. I immediately salt the chips with kosher salt when they come out.

Step Three: Layer the chips on cooling racks
Line a baking sheet with foil, put down the first rack. Layer your chips in a single layer, close together. Sprinkle with cheese, onions and jalapenos (if desired). Using small sheets of foil, create 4 equal sized balls (about 1"). Place the second rack on the foil balls (the rack should not be directly on the chips below). 
Step Four: Sprinkle with shredded cheese, diced red onion and diced jalepeno
Repeat the process. I left 1/4 of the chips plain (just cheese) for my son.
Step Five: Remove from racks, place on fancy tray ;). Serve with hot refried beans, salsa and sour cream.
I got this technique of making nachos from Alton Brown on the food network. So thanks, Alton. I use it every time I make nachos now because I hate globby cheese and how some have lots and some have none. It's been awhile since I bought all these ingredients so these are my best guesses on pricing:

  • Corn tortillas (big package) - can usually get on sale or with coupons for $2.00
  • Vegetable Oil - Got this big container from Costco for about $7 and I only used about 2 cups so we will call it - $0.50
  • Refried beans (single can) - I can usually get these on sale for about $0.80
  • Sour Cream - I got this container for $0.75 with sale and coupon
  • Salsa - my stock up price on the small bottles is $1 or less. I believe I got this salsa for $0.50.
  • Cheese - I got this 8 oz. bag of Tillamook at Fred Meyer when they had them on sale for $1
  • Jalepeno - $0.50 (usually 2/$1)
  • Red onion - $0.79/lb - we will call this $0.79 since it was a huge onion (only used about 1/4)
So total all those ingredients cost $6.84 and this amount could easily feed 4, so $1.71 per serving! Not a bad deal (and it is even vegetarian for the non-meat eaters as long as you get vegetarian beans).

No comments:

Post a Comment