Thursday, June 23, 2011

Stockpile Meal, Day 1

Okay so here is my first shot at using the groceries I am getting through couponing to make economical meals. Today I made Pasta Florentine.
I got the recipe from the back of the Philadelphia Cooking Creme. It sounded good so I decided to try it! Here is what I used and what it cost:
  • Philadelphia Savory Garlic Cooking Creme. Paid $1.50 after coupons.
  • Bell Pepper (I used half of each, so one bell pepper), Paid $1.25.
  • Fresh Express Spinach (9 oz). Paid $1.
  • Pasta (had on hand but if I had used the pasta I bought 2 weeks ago it would have cost $0.50 so we will use that figure)
  • Chicken Breast (2). Was $0.99/lb. Paid $2.10.
  • Cantaloupe (as side dish). Was BOGO. Paid about $2 for one. ($3.99 for both)
This was super simple to make. While the pasta cooked,  I just sauteed the chicken for about 5 minutes until mostly cooked through. Added the bell pepper (about 1 cups worth or 1 bell pepper, diced) and sauteed until tender. Then I added the bag of spinach and wilted down, about 2 minutes.  Then I added the cooking creme to heat through. I topped it with some chopped roasted almonds I had on hand, but that it totally optional. I served it with cantaloupe. You could stretch this even further with a side salad! Here is the finished product:
 It was really yummy and with the whole grain pasta, lean meat, veggies and almonds, totally healthy. All in all this meal cost me $8.35 and it could easily feed 4. So about $2 per serving! Not too bad!

No comments:

Post a Comment